[pct-l] Mountain Bikes and Trail Damage

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Oct 9 14:15:45 CDT 2012

Brick,

I second your feelings! Designating bike days vs. hiker days simply doesn't
work in reality.

I imagine mountain-biking is quite a rush and a lot of fun, but the mix of
speed with hard objects and soft soils is only asking for trouble. If, as a
biker, you can negotiate those roots, boulders, stairs, and narrow turns
without damaging your surroundings, then that's great, but from what I've
seen on the TRT, that simple doesn't work, either, in reality!

Soft soil is deeply gouged by skidding or sliding tires, especially on the
soft, forested turns which become 4 to 6 feet wide, banked, and difficult
for hikers to move through.

The prospect of a fall I would think is huge, also. I've watched how the
bikers get around on rocky switchbacks and it is impressive that they even
can, but one spill at any speed means a major injury and a possible flight
out (not to mention the painful wait time for medical assistance, the SAR
members who have to mobilize out of their lives to come to your aid, and the
cost of the Air Ambulance).

For a backpacker on a trail shared by horses and bikes, it is the speed of
the bikes that makes the hiking experience risky, not fun, and certainly not
as relaxing as it would be if they were not there. Yes, you often can hear
them coming toward you and can get out of the way (since it is obvious that
they can't slow much less stop very quickly; nor do they want to, really),
but I rarely hear them coming up from behind me.

I always get that irritated, "On your left" retort as I am abruptly jolted
out of my relaxed wilderness thoughts to realize that they are back there.
It is the hiker who can simply move aside and is expected to do so because
bikers lose momentum in having to slow down for hikers and get upset
otherwise. Speed and mountain appreciation do not mix. Sure, they do it for
the challenge and the thrill and that is all fine. The mix of
casually-moving-along hiker or horse and a hundred or more pounds of flying
Juggernaut is not beneficial to either one on the same trail!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org