[pct-l] bikes on the PCT

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Wed Oct 10 01:44:56 CDT 2012

um, I have been mountain biking since the late 1980's.  I've ridden all over Washington and Oregon, but never once have I ridden on a trail that was closed to mountain bikes.  I have no anti mountain bike bias...I own a few 2.35in tires myself.  Riding downhill on singletrack through the woods is incredibly fun.  I just think the mountain bike lobby needs to focus their energy on getting their own trails built rather than leeching off the decades of hard work that hikers and equestrians have done.

Rather than complaining on message boards about the lack of mountain bike only trails, there are actually people out there in the mountain bike community who "do the work" to make them happen:
http://www.oregonlive.com/north-of-26/index.ssf/2012/06/stub_stewart_state_park_opens.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903999904576469960615061074.html

The last comment here sums it all up for me that I wish a lot of other fellow mountain bikers shared:
http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/appalachian-trail-can-i-ride-291174.html

Craig