[pct-l] bikes on the PCT

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 03:41:57 CDT 2012

Maybe a poll across existing trail volunteers.  Question would have to be
sensible so, "Would you be prepared to spend your time repairing all the
trail damage from mountain bike use ?" would probably not help.  But a
balanced question passed round each trail volunteer group the results then
submitted to PCTA (and Forrest Service) so those with significant input to
any decision can gauge the impact on the trail (i.e. will it still exist in
5 years with no maintenance).

I don't know if relevant to US decision making but in the UK with e.g.
planning and development the authorities cannot really consider what might
happen outside the scope of their decision.  i.e. were they to allow
non-wilderness trail access then considerations about bikes also using
wilderness sections cannot be considered.  Their regulations would ban
wilderness bike access and that people might break those rules are not
relevant to the non-wilderness decision.  That is UK, I don't know about US.

That mountain bikes already use sections illegally might actually help the
Mountain Bikers case.  Because they can respond that "OK, we should not be
using it but, without any guidelines there have been no accidents so there
is clearly no danger ... and existing use shows we can happily coexist".
 It sounds to me like the danger and potential injury aspect is something
that would concern the authorities.  A few years ago the Forrest Service
were found largely liable when a child was killed by a bear (there were
points both sides and I understand child had food in his tent).  If the
authorities take inadequate steps to protect other users I would expect
they may also liable for legal damages.  So who is going to post the vast
numbers of "Warning Fast Moving Mountain Bikes" signs along the trail -
trail volunteers who it would seem are anti the bike use ?  How are the
authorities going to protect other users (to avoid legal liability) ?

I've not yet hiked the PCT.  I plan to when a few current responsibilities
allow (maybe a few years time).  I watch the list to gain knowledge of the
trail.  If mountain bikes are allowed I will not be making a thru hike
(I'll find another trail - Te Araoa [sic] also appeals).  Not a threat
(because most people here are against the bike use anyway), just that it
would be such a shame were this change of use to be allowed (and I believe
it would be a change as hikers would quickly fade to a few section/day
hikers).

Fred
(Sorry, I always go on and on writing long messages)