[pct-l] Bikes on the PCT

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Wed Oct 10 11:00:39 CDT 2012

Commuting by bike is great, but that does not really
address the anti mountain bike bias I see on this
board.  It seems to me, and I'm sure all will
disagree here, that the issue has to do with
sharing more than anything else.  Hikers, and the
few horse riders left over (from what I read earlier
on another post) are used now to have the PCT to
themselves and are not interesting in sharing.

I'd like to remind everyone that the PCT is funded
by the taxpayer and should be therefore not meant
to be the exclusive use of any given group.  I don't
see the USFS creating new trails exclusively for
mountain bikers, so I really don't see why the PCT
should be the exclusive use of hikers.

Zor,

An interesting argument.  Airports are funded by
the taxpayer, and there are those who feel that
parachuting is a fun and enjoyable sport.

I suppose that an argument to allow those who like
to jump out of planes without parachutes could be made,
since they are taxpayers, too.

Presumably, the parachutists might protest the move,
as their landing zones will be made rather unpleasant
with all the blood and gore strewn about.