[pct-l] Mountain bikes

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 12:21:25 CDT 2012

Just putting in my .02 again in response to or to reiterate, some statements I
have seen here.
I/we are not "anti-mountain bike," I/we are against mountain bikes on the PCT.
Most of us are looking for a wilderness experience at 2-3 miles per hour and
don't want to have to be worried that a bicyclist is going to be approaching at
a considerably faster speed.
To echo another comment, even though horses may have a larger impact on the
trail per mile traveled, the number of equestrians is far smaller than the
potential number of bicyclists.
Many/most mountain bikers are looking for some excitement while riding--they are
not likely to be leisurely pedaling along the trail, they are more likely to be
zipping along and enjoying the challenge of some rough terrain because it adds
to the adrenaline rush.
As a taxpayer, I pay for freeways that I can not hike on; bridges I am not
allowed to either walk or bike across, and schools that I no longer attend. To
me, this is part of being a citizen and I expect to do this within reason.
One of my sons is an avid bicyclist and I definitely have a soft spot for
bicyclists, but to me it is only common sense that sometimes the two activities
do not mix.
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn
Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-san-francisco/susan-alcorn
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and
We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women
Backpackers.