[pct-l] bikes on the PCT

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Wed Oct 10 18:29:16 CDT 2012

> From: Zorglub <azorglub at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] bikes on the PCT
> The whole OHV argument is a slippery slope that I don't buy and is a distraction from the main issue that one historical group is trying to keep another human powered group of recreationists out.

Of course you don't buy it because it negates your whole argument for mountain bikes on the PCT.

Hikers/Equestrians are at the bottom of the safety+trail damage chain so to speak, above them are mountain bikers, and above that are motocross/ATV riders.  Mountain bikers asking ATV riders to "share" their trail is a lot different than mountain bikers asking hikers to "share" their trail.  Asking to move up the chain generally only presents a greater risk to yourself rather than the existing users of said trail.  However, asking to move down the chain gives you the safety advantage and puts the existing trail users at a greater risk.

If you were wanting the PCT open to human-powered mechanical things like mountain unicycles (or pogo sticks for that matter) there would be a lot less opposition to "sharing" the PCT since you are not a safety threat.  Perhaps you should go that route?

This whole notion of allowing mountain bikers on the trail in order to have more maintenance crews is nonsense.  Think of all the trail maintenance we could get if we renamed Forrester Pass to something like GlaxoSmithKline Pass.  Heck, if things were dire enough for the trail, I would be happier to tell people I hiked the Campmor Trail (formerly the Pacific Crest Trail) over having to deal with mountain bikes.

Regardless, I really think you need to be spending your energy into creating mountain bike only trails rather than piggybacking off other people's hard work.  Give up the notion of having mountain bikes on the PCT.  The Forest Service/BLM is already aware of the safety conflicts between hikers and mountain bikers.  If they allow mountain bikes on the PCT, they know they are just one lawsuit away from a hiker with a GoPro camera who happened to be on the wrong blind corner at the wrong time.

Craig