[pct-l] Wilderness Act and bicycles

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:26:49 CDT 2012

I'll make this point again for the third time today. The Wilderness Act was passed and signed into law in 1964. The first mountain bike was cobbled together in Northern California in the late 1970's. It is disingenuous to claim mountain bikes were intended to be included within the ambit of the Act before they were invented, became popular and entered popular consciousness and mass production.  Up until 15 years after the Act bicycles were conceived as being limited to paved surfaces. How is it that Congress intended mountain bikes be included in the Act? Wait! I know! Time travel!! (Head slap)

It should be obvious to all here that the disregard for any legal restriction by the mountain bike lobby should mean that legalization isn't necessary because they don't feel restricted regardless of the outcome. Similarly, of course, anyone who has encountered them on the trail knows that they don't adhere to any obligation involving other users with whom the wish to 'share'.

Sent from my iPad