[pct-l] Bikes on the PCT

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 11:44:35 CDT 2012

I was laying in bed last night thinking about my summer hike at Newberry Crater National Monument.  I did a three day 80 mile hike, and it was great, perfect weather, terrific scenery, twin crater lakes and a Rim Trail about the caldera, plus side explorations.  The only negative about the hike was the seamingly uncountable number of Mtn bikes on the rim trail.

I foundd it odd that I was the one and the only hiker.  It made no sense at the time, it is such a beautiful place with wide, sweeping views and chocked full of cool geology.  But maybe the hikers have been chased out and replaced my the mtn bikers?

I wonder if hikers should organized a hike and block the trail day?   No, I don't like the idea of being disrespectful (mtn biking is fun), but there's no joy for the hiker if the trails are filled with lines of zooming bikes.