[pct-l] bikes on the PCT

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Thu Oct 11 11:00:18 CDT 2012

I just re-joined pct-l because my long-term significant other is planning his second PCT thru next year (depending on snow pack).

I live in Florida and am an active member of the FTA.  It's interesting to me that the FT is facing some of the same mountain biking pressures that the PCT is facing.  The US Forest Service is our Federal partner and the current guy in charge is pressing for more biking use.

Going through my very urban/suburban county, a portion of the FT uses a paved rails-to-trails route  developed by the county.  Bikers, roller bladers, strollers, etc. are all allowed.  Likewise, I don't think there's much objection to bikes where the trail uses a gravel/paved road on top of the dike around Lake Okeechobee.

However, there's a LOT of objection to mountain bikes on most of the rest of the trail.  Florida's predominant soil is barely packed sand with varying degrees of incorporated organic material.  It's soft and easily moved by bikes.  Frequent  use by bikes often results in the trail turning into ankle deep loose sand.  It's a slog--tough, miserable hiking.

For the record, 99% of the (unapproved) bikers I've encountered on the trail simply buzz by me, close enough for me to feel the breeze they create.  Sometimes I hear them coming and get off the trail, but once in a while I don't hear them until they're literally feet away.  It's scary to think that if I took a misstep into their path, I'd be hit.

Joan
bluetrail at aol.com