[pct-l] Facts Matter, Part 2

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 11 08:43:02 CDT 2012

Mango,

You've hit on one of my pet peeves.  I've worked on trail crews on the Appalachian Trail where we put ramps on a privy more than 7 rocky, steep miles from a trail head.  I've repeatedly asked for the name of the person who mandated such ridiculousness.  I've read the regulations put in place to implement the ADA and another law, and they do, indeed, require that any structure put in place on federal lands thereafter be "accessible".  Whether one could get to it was, apparently, beyond the regulator's logic ability.  The materials for this privy (at Old Orchard Shelter and another at Thomas Knob Shelter) were brought up by a forest service ATV and assembled by Konnarock Trail crew.  No airlifting nor national guard units assisted.  Most shelter materials are carried in by volunteers.

Handlebar