[pct-l] Fair to Mountain Bikers??

Chris Anderson srhspaded at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 01:49:12 CDT 2012

Being from So Cal and experiencing bikers on a diverse selection of trails...well lets just say that as a hiker, I learn where to hike and when real quick.  These guys talk a big game about "sharing" and "being polite bikers" and "yielding"...and I'm sure some of them are really nice and know how to ride on a multi-use trail... I wish I would meet more of them on the single track trails, since I always seem to just hear them as I ditch the trail on a downhill as they scream to get the f- out of the way...oh wait, "on your left" is the polite way of saying that, as if I had a choice.  They will talk about equestrians as if we hikers don't have issues sometimes amongst ourselves and the riders.  They bring up trekking poles, spring-loaded free-standing tents, gas stoves, etc. as mechanical devices, completely ignoring that those devices are not "mechanical transport", nor do they offer the mechanical aid that a bike offers (multi-gears, brakes,
 etc)...they might as well call crampons mechanical devices because they offer traction (because, ummmm...the mechanical aid is in the device providing a solid point for torque for your legs)...hell, i guess if we aren't hiking naked barefoot then we don't meet their argument of how we are unfair for wanting an "unmechanized" trail.  They just won't get it, and never will.  Hike on is what I say, and throw a 'bow if they flank you illegally...

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat!