[pct-l] To SPOT or not to SPOT [AND] Money along the

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Oct 13 16:47:28 CDT 2012

Having started hiking alone before there were guidebooks- only topo maps
- let alone SPOT or iridium satellite phones, the idea of carrying
something that would let my loved ones know how I am is a bit over the top.

I hiked a long section hike with a girlfriend in the early 90s. Her dad
was dying of colon cancer.  We were hiking at a pace where we would get
to town and a phone every week or so.  The day we got closer to town
she'd get emotional cry her way down the trail.  I totally got it and
left her alone.

She'd check in and her spirits would rise and we'd have a great time
eating town food and doing couple stuff.

The listserv started back in 1994 or 1995 if I remember correctly (Brick
of course knows).  If you have access to archives, spend a half hour or
so reading what people talked about.

One thing that's pretty obvious, is there were few, if any, women
participating in discussions, or starting the trail alone.  That has
changed wonderfully!

There was also no way that someone on the trail could communicate with
the outside world outside of towns.

I totally support young men and women, who often times for the first
time, are doing something outside of parental influence, gently insist
that s/he will check in when they get to a town, and that the parental
units may not hear anything for a couple weeks. You might help them,
"Get used to it..."

I know it won't be long before you'll be able to lie in your tent near
Tyndall Creek and talk to your Mom (mine is 86) on the phone.

The question will become, do you want to...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD