[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Oct 14 21:56:49 CDT 2012

To be honest I was writing to young people coming into adulthood. They
are the ones with the greatest range of possibilities to declare
independence, often for the first time!

I totally get wanting to stay in contact with loved ones.  It makes a
thru-hike, or long section hike a lot more possible for a lot more people.

At the same time I think each of us walks our own path regardless of
relationships, and we do so with our loved ones holding hands, not
intertwined and enmeshed.  If one of a couple has a dream not shared by
the other, does that mean the dream is abandoned?  I know - sometimes
yes, and sometimes no.

I think each of us on this listserv has the dream of hiking the trail.
Some of us have made commitments that preclude us from doing so, and as
the years pass, the dream fades.  Others can find the space to spend six
months or three months, or six weeks hiking.  And some do it year after
year after year.

 From the perspective of being in the dream and doing a long hike,
whatever tethers there are, are chosen.  That's fine.  HYOH...

Jeff...