[pct-l] To SPOT or not to SPOT

Mike Schaeffer chiefrat2006 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 09:06:40 CDT 2012

I agree, Ed.

The deal between my wife and I:  I carried SPOT and sent a message home every night and she brought home a paycheck and carried our health insurance.  SPOT may have been the deciding factor as to whether or not she agreed to keep me while I hiked the trail.  The extra weight and the frustration of trying to say what I wanted to in 40 letters or less was worth it.

As a side benefit, she was able to forward my messages on to friends at home so they could track my progress while they were slaving away at their jobs.  I was so glad to send a SPOT  message to my college roommate from the summit of Whitney saying, "I'm here and you're not."  Luckily he was in  his office at the time so he could feel me gloating.  He is a member of the Highpointer's Club but hasn't done Whitney yet.

Mike
AT '78
PCT '11(started) -'12 (finished)