[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Oct 16 00:30:07 CDT 2012

Of course, we are all discussing the situation of when only one wants to go.
The best for both parties is when both go! The opportunities for shared
enjoyment of wilderness is priceless and brings both together tighter than
before....

A satellite phone in the backcountry is only used to call out. We use ours
every night to "check in" and tell everyone on the other end how much fun
we're having and that all is well. They can hear our excitement in our
voices and that puts a smile on their faces!

When things go badly, we can make an emergency call to the local Sheriff and
have a two-way discussion of our location, routes to us, our emergency
described in detail, what rescue gear they will need to reach us, and what
gear we need them to bring in. This makes the rescue quicker and more
efficient. This is good for everyone involved.

If you're out there for solitude and can't stand the thought of talking to
anyone, then by all means go and enjoy the quiet. Just be ultra careful and
come out on time because you don't have any other recourse when things go
bad. Now, they may not, but they certainly can and have in the past. If SAR
has to come to your rescue with the coordinated efforts of 30 or 40 people,
most of whom you'll never meet, don't be surprised if they read you the riot
act in no uncertain terms because you made the choices you did.

Even savvy mountain men get caught off-guard...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org