[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...from the other world

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Tue Oct 16 15:40:15 CDT 2012

It's always a good idea to make a plan between the two of you before he heads out.  I know when my mate or I day hike alone, we have agreed that if we don't get back that day, we will give the other person at least until ten o'clock the next morning to walk out, instead of panicking right away that same day.
If you are the one out in the backcountry, don't be afraid to enlist other hikers for help in contacting someone.  I was running behind schedule to call home once, and a dayhiker I ran into agreed to call home for me when they got off the trail,and at least let my husband know where he saw me and that I was fine.
Even though there may not be cell service where you are, a phone can often be pinged for a location as long as it's on.  If one of us should get lost or injured, we also have an agreed upon time for when we would leave our phone on and for how long (just to make sure the battery doesn't run out.)