[pct-l] Dehydrated food on arid stretches of trail?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 17 21:56:53 CDT 2012

With dehydrated food, you can opt to just drink the water if you
aren't hungry or the food isn't appetizing. It keeps better, too.

Most people don't carry ALL dehydrated food. They carry all different
kinds of food. You will probably do the same.

Even when the water is scarce, you typically pass one water source
each day at minimum. At the water source, you could opt to rehydrate
just that day's worth of food. Get it started soaking and then heat
it up later, if that seems like a good idea at the time. That way
only one day's worth has moisture.