[pct-l] About my first generation SPOT

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 23:35:51 CDT 2012

Hello Ned,

There has been a lot of recent posts on the SPOT. I was given my first generation SPOT free by their SoCal sales representative in 2008 more than a month before I started my PCT ride. They also gave one to Zack, a 17-year old who wanted to sail a boat around the world - and he succeeded. All I was asked to do in exchange for the free device was to promise to press the OK button every night and at each of my camp locations. They put Zack and myself on their WEBSITE. If you visited the SPOT website, it would say "see where Ed (or Zack) is now.  I had received instructions from the SPOT rep and from the manual that comes with the SPOT. I was careful to always have a good amount of clear sky above where I placed the device - always laying it in a horizontal position, as instructed. I was ALWAYS able to send my "I'm OK" message to SPOT, to my wife, and to eight others. It never failed., and I still have records to verify that. My wife had
 the peace of mind of knowing that I was OK. All 10 on my "team" (which included the SPOT website) could look at a satellite photograph and see my location, accurate within a very short radius. I never needed the "911" button. It gave my wife a much appreciated "peace of mind" to know where I was, that I was OK, and that I had a means of summoning a rescue if needed.

Riding a horse, solo and mostly unsupported, it was to take four seasons to complete the PCT. Since I resupplied myself (by leaving my horse in safe care and driving my rig ahead, caching as I went, then parking it in a safe and prearranged place near the PCT), I mostly lived on the trail. I didn't have the option of hitching into towns and using a telephone as many hikers can do, I relied on the SPOT to communicate my well-being.  Again, my wife really appreciated that - and I felt that it was the right thing to do.

I would like to point out that if Donivan had had a Spot (It was not yet on the market) he would not have died. The couple who chanced to find his body a year later did not have a SPOT either. They were also badly lost and desperate for rescue. They finally resorted to setting a forest fire to call attention to their own life-threatening  situation. There was a TV program about it that most on this list have probably seen.  There has been an entire TV series called "I Shouldn't Be Alive", it showed the Donovan story and the desperation of the lost hikers who chanced to find him - and then had to be rescued themselves. If all of those people who had gotten themselves into desperate, life-threatening situations, had a SPOT, or some other emergency communications device (such as those mentioned by Ned), along - there wouldn't be much material for the TV series.

Again, I want to mention that I never had a problem sending my messages via SPOT satellite. I never had my lithium batteries run down. I did test them whenever I rode to where I had parked my rig. I had a GB, GBT-502A battery tester there (It is small, and weighs 1.25 ounces - but, since I am a UL rider, I keep it in my camper).  It is a simple, and inexpensive  device for testing the voltage of AA and AAA batteries. After receiving my free SPOT, and several weeks before starting my PCT ride (during March and the first half of April of 2008), I did a LOT of testing. I tried out the "tracking" option.  It would track my progress in real time every 10 minutes. My "team" could view that information on satellite pictures. Pretty cool!  I tested it on several multi-day checkout rides. I discovered that it used too much battery - so did not use the tracking feature during my PCT ride. I even tested it under conditions that did not meet the
 "clear open sky" requirement and it still worked - I tested it INSIDE my house and also inside my barn. And the signal still went out. Of course, while on the PCT I always sought out some clear sky - even if I had to walk a few hundred feet to find a good location. By observing the two green lights were doing (blinking, steady on, off), I could always tell when my OK signal was sent by satellite.

My device was a first generation SPOT. It weighs 7 ounces. The second generation SPOT is both lighter and smaller. I have never tried the newer ones. The manufacturer claims that my device will work at temperatures ranging from about -30 degrees F. to +140 degrees F. I have never tested it at nearly those extremes.

This morning I sent an OK satellite message to my wife from INSIDE my house, while I was eating breakfast. Off this list, I am forwarding it to you.

Kind Regards,
MendoRider