[pct-l] Vegetarian thru hike

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 11:16:28 CDT 2012

I hiked several thousand miles on the PCT with Smiles, a Swiss vegetarian,
who had more energy at times than the rest of us put together.  She was
scouting out ahead and then behind, getting lost and found and trudging
through deep snow for weeks in the Sierra, and her diet was never an issue.
 She ate some high density, low nutritional foods such as mac and cheese
and Lipton Sides, candy and other junk, but also ate really healthy foods
like her breakfast of soaked rolled grains and nuts.  She bought and mailed
ahead foods from the bigger trail towns and would go for health foods when
she could get them, which wasn't everywhere, but she ended up being one of
the only people I knew on trail who lost no weight on her thru hike.  She
was ripped and didn't need to lose any, but she stayed very healthy and
energetic all summer.  It's totally doable.

Toga and Rheinhold's suggestions are great.

Shroomer