[pct-l] Bee stings and Epi-Pens

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Thu Oct 18 13:19:56 CDT 2012

perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand your anxiety over the POSSIBILITY of allergic reaction to a beesting?

First, severe reactions are rare.  Less than 1%.

Second, even for those people, there is a "ladder" effect of reactions....each is worse.

For almost all people, it is not the first reaction that is severe, it is the second episode or beyond.
The first is the "sensitizing" encounter, the second is the reactivation encounter, where the existing system is activated. That system has not been created for the first sting.

If a person has a personal history of severe allergic reactions, or a family history of them, PERHAPS it is worthwhile getting tested.

But it never occured to me in 30 years of medical practice to routinely test hikers.

However, you should do what makes you comfortable, you shouldn't hike in fear.  I am not advising you what you should do, but simply giving my perspective.  Your mileage may vary.