[pct-l] About my first generation SPOT

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Thu Oct 18 17:43:10 CDT 2012

I am not going to wade into the argument of whether to carry a spot or not that is a personal decision. Hell carry a 72" plasma tv if you feel like it. With that being said I do carry a spot, my choice, I have the second generation spot. What I have found is that the satellite system that spot has their contract with is not a reliable system and does not always send the message through, even when you have done everything right. You get no indication that your message has not gone through. After some research I discovered that by sending the message out twice, back to back usually at least one message got through. I found out that the new spot that works with smart phones actually transmits the message 3 times to the spot system and spot then forwards on 1 copy. I so far have never had to push the 911 button but on 3 occasions had to push the custom message button and get picked up at a different location
that has saved me from hiking extra miles on an injury. With all the means to connect and stay in touch the best and proven method for starting a SAR is to fail to check in at a predetermined time. Leaving a detailed itinerary with someone is the safest way to ensure you are found. I always tell my wife you will see or hear from me by such and such a time. She then starts the clock if I fail to connect and after 6 hours she is instructed to raise the alarm. So far she hasn't had to do that. I plan plenty of fudge factor into my schedule. Get out and enjoy your hike take along whatever increases your enjoyment or sense of safety if that means an ipod and a howitzer then rock on.

Diarmaid "Irish" Harmon
irishharmon at comcast.net

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!"