[pct-l] Map Suggestions

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:43:23 CDT 2012

Those are the two to have.  Halfmile's maps are the most accurate and
Yogi's books are invaluable.  The Wilderness Press guides are great for
overall history, but not for their maps in my opinion.  They were great
when that was the best out there in a portable form, but Halfmile's are
easy to download and use.  I'd recommend the Tom Harrison map pack for the
John Muir Trail as they cover a larger area of the mountains that you'll be
hiking than do Halfmile's, and you may want to bag a peak or two.  We used
a combination of Halfmile's, Eric the Black's book and the Harrison maps
between 5 of us in the High Sierra in snow in 2010.  Navigation was still
an issue over all that snow.  All proved useful in different ways.  Eric's
book was super convenient and held its integrity even after Smiles kept it
in her pants pocket several times during deep river crossings.  She'd just
hang it out and dry it and hike on.

Shroomer