[pct-l] Smart Phone Apps

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:12:54 CDT 2012

On Oct 24, 2012 8:02 AM, "Eddy" <ewker at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just got a smart phone and have thought about carrying it on my hikes
> now. Normally I don't but since I have misplaced my camera I will be using
> it as my camera now.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 3III
>
> I’m wondering what other apps would be useful to install on the phone?
> Any thoughts?

Backcountry Navigator. You can save USGS maps to the phone and use the
phone's GPS (and compass if equipped) to see where you are, where you
should be, where you are going, etc. You can track your trip and save it,
share it, see statistics, etc. Constatnly using the GPS chip on the phone
to navigate will use batteries realtively quickly, but it's nice to have.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal