[pct-l] survey on trail conflicts

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Wed Oct 24 12:46:30 CDT 2012

Day-Late wrote:

>Maybe I'm just selfish - but for me it is not about the safety, although I
>know enough to know that horses and bikes do not mix.

>It's not about the wear on the trail, although I know enough to know the
>bike tracks create ruts and do more long term damage than hooves or foot
>prints.

>Its not about bells or rudeness or any other point you can bring up.

>For me it's about these trails that were built as -- foot paths --  by
>hikers/equestrians so we could get away from the mechanized world for a
>while.

I agree totally. As I mentioned earlier I had a brush with a mountain biker this summer on the PCT. I wasn't hit, but as I was standing in the middle of the trail trying to adjust my umbrella when he suddenly appeared, I drop the umbrella and my treking pole and fell back on the upside of the trail. Surprised and shook up a little I quickly recovered.

However, the rest of the trip was now tainted with a fear that wasn't there before. Would there be other MBers and would I always have to worry about my personal safety; always have to be totally alert? It was a significant difference in the experience, as if everything had shifted. I felt as if I had gone from confident, competent, part of my environment to potential prey to someone's illegal selfishness. The problems and distractions of civilization had followed me on to the trail.

MBers always talk about their experience of the ride. We as hikers have come to expect a certain experience as well. Unfortunately some selfish people are willing to put their needs above everything else.

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln