[pct-l] Private landowners along the PCT and bikes

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:27:14 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Douglas Tow <douglastow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Further, the trail crosses national parks, national wilderness areas, state
> parks, forest service lands, etc.  Does each jurisdiction have its own
> bureaucracies and rules that would effect whether or not bicycles would be
> allowed, even if the PCTA supported it?
>
> Doug

Simply put, yes. Each state and national park has its own rules for
vehicles inside its boundaries. Wilderness areas are not a part of the
reassessment initiative. The US Forest Circus can decide from one
region to another what is illegal where. The PCTA can offer
information to help make decisions, but the agencies in charge and
even their regional offices can make decisions about illegal uses and
where on their own as long as there isn't a regulation barring them
from doing so. For example, the PCT is mentioned in the Scenic Trails
Act as only allowing foot and equestrian travel, so that removes the
ability for regional, state, or local agencies from being able to make
changes to the allowed uses of the PCT.

All of the above is nothing more than how I believe it to work based
on some research I've done. It is likely to be inaccurate to some
degree, and is worth less than you paid for it.

IANAL,
Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--