[pct-l] Smart Phone Apps

Dan Campbell dan at camelbackhotel.com
Wed Oct 24 15:27:10 CDT 2012

Andoid Hiking Apps:

1.  BackCountry Navigator app -- I've been using it for the past 1.5 years
as my GPS with Halfmile's GPS track and AccuTerra maps ($20) rather than
the free USGS topo maps.  It works flawlessly.  No need for a $500 GPS with
this app!!!!  I have bought 5 extra batteries ($20 each, amazon.com)
(1/day) for longer hikes.  Also make sure you're phone is in airplane mode
while hiking.

2.  Spot Connect app -- has worked ok sending "I'm still alive" messages
nightly to the wife.

3.  Generic Camera app -- it has taken great photos.

Enjoy!!!

*Dan Campbell*