[pct-l] Thru or Section Hike After Bypass Surgery

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 22:37:04 CDT 2012

I have no personal experience with this  - but on the AT I met and got to
know a hiker (trail name Tortuga) that was hiking after major bypass
surgery.  He was medically retired from his job with the fire department in
the LA area because of his health issues.   He eventually had to bail out
after completing a bit more than half of the trail due to issues with his
legs - I'm not really sure if this was related to the circulatory issues or
not.  After meeting him on and off for several months I happened to see him
on his last day on the trail (kind of a sad day). He said the AT was the
best experience of his life and wouldn't have missed it for anything.  I
met him again at AZDCTKO a year later and he still felt the same way.

I'd recommend just going out and doing what you can.  Any day on the trail
is a good day - if you complete a thru hike in a year (if that is your
goal) then great.  But even if you don't the trip will be great, just
except the joys you have the privileged to experience and don't worry about
the rest.

Day-Late