[pct-l] Thru or Section Hike After Bypass Surgery

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 27 06:04:00 CDT 2012

Regarding the post from The Incredible Bulk (Of course I will always consult with my doctor first, but I was wondering if anyone thru or section hiked the PCT following recovery from coronary bypass surgery?)

I can't speak to biking after bypass surgery but I can speak to exercise with heart disease after open heart surgery. Do it. Lots of it. Just be careful.

In 1984, 4 years after hiking 1650 miles of the PCT I was diagnosed with major heart disease. I was a moderate bicyclist at the time and continued biking up until the week before I had my aortic valve replaced in May of 1987. Naturally, bicyling was a major part of my physical rehabilitation. I rode 2 Southern California "events" that fall. one around Corona del Mar and one in Whittier Hills that included a significant climb. No problem so I began riding with a vengeance. My cardiologist at the time, a marathon runner himself, theorized that some heart disease is reversible, particularly with exercise. I set out to prove his theory. (Note: my heart disease was iniated with a childhood bout of rhumatic fever and thus my backpack trip in 1980 was with a unknown diseased heart.)

This year, I have ridden 3,503 miles (so far) in Michigan. I also, as part of my annual follow up testing, was diagnosed with moderate to severe ischemia (think blockages). A cardiac catheterization confirmed 2 capillaries that are 90% blocked and a main artery that is 30% blocked. In speaking with my doctor yesterday, he attributes my exercise regime as the reason my heart has adjusted to what I affectionally call a capacity issue. If technology today can allow an automobile with 6 cylinders to "back off" and use just 4 cylinders in non-strenuous conditions, surely the human body can adjust to functioning properly with reduced capacity.

So make sure you get clearance from your doctor before you embark on your backpack journey and when you do, think of it as another motivation to hike the PCT.

Hike your own hike and more importantly hike your own pace.

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980