[pct-l] MTBs on the PCT

Dan Campbell dan at camelbackhotel.com
Sat Oct 27 12:34:18 CDT 2012

I hike 3 times a week in the Phoenix Mountain preserve (similar in
composition to S. Cal PCT Sections).  All the trails are multiuse:  hikers,
horses & Mountain Bikes (MTB).  We all coexist happily.  Rarely do I
encounter an out of control MTBer.  Actually horses are more bothersome
than MTBs.  MTBers have always been respectful and polite.  I think the
trails have actually improved with added use by the MTBs.  The MTBs wear
down the sharp rocks in the trail quicker and firm up the trail.  With
little rain (like So. Cal) tire ruts are essentially non existent.  Here's
the biggest problem with MTBers:  whenever you see an ambulance in the
parking lot at the Phoenix Mountain Preserve you know its for a MTBer not a
hiker.  My guess is 95% of the PCT rescues will be for MTBs.

My goal is to section hike the whole PCT.  However my wife loves horses.  I
think it would be fun to complete the PCT partially hiking, partially
horseback & partially MTB -- how cool!!!!  Imagine MTBing from fuller ridge
down to I-10 or southbound from Mt Laguna to I-8!!!  Where you'll see the
MTBs is on the long downhills.

While section hiking the PCT I rarely ever see another hiker.  It might be
fun to see a MTB every once in a while.  They might be great trail angels
(imagine 4 water caches between scissor crossing and barrel springs rather
than 1).

Share -- it might not be that bad.

*Dan Campbell*
*Section Hiker*