[pct-l] Considering Thru-Hike

eric at ericwichman.com eric at ericwichman.com
Sat Oct 27 20:27:50 CDT 2012

Hi PCTers, I'm a new PCT enthusiast considering a thru-hike (Northbound).

My experience level is good, however most of it in lowland forests,
swamps, marshes, and coastal areas in the southeast USA. I've not done
a lot of hiking in the past 7 years or so since I moved to California,
but have been on a few trips to Yosemite, Sequoia, and local hikes in
and around the L.A. area (Mt. Baldy). I have about 10+ years of
hiking, backpacking and camping/survival experience, but I've been
working a desk job for the last 10 years, with only intermittent hikes.

I need to get back in shape, and start training ASAP, but I'm not sure
there's enough time between now and the kickoff of the hiking season
in April to get ready for a PCT thru-hike.

There are plenty of trails around the SoCal area I can hike and train
on during the winter off season.

I'd like some advice from those who've completed a thru-hike of the
PCT and those who've got experience in hiking the High Sierras and
Cascades. If you live in the SoCal area, and would like to get
together and help me get acclimated to the western higher altitude
hiking, I'm open.

Thanks in advance! ;)

~Eric