[pct-l] Worst parts of the trail and ways to get through them

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 14:37:46 CDT 2012

I'll second the mental aspects mentioned by Yogi, Jeff, etc.  I'd call it 75% mental, 20% physical and 5% logistical on what it takes to do the trail.  With a positive attitude and mental resiliency, adaptability and
flexibility, there are no "bad" or "worst" parts of the trail, only more or less physically or logistically challenging parts.

In my year ('06) the Sierra was physically and logistically the most challenging, and also the most exhilarating part of the trail - dancing on the knife edge of danger while slowly starving to push directly through to VVR...yeah, it nearly wrecked me, but NEVER had I been so alive.

I guess the trail is neither good, bad, "best", "worst".....the trail,
the weather, the snow, the bugs....it just.....is.

How you deal with
it....how YOU are....that will determine the "best".....or "worst" parts.  It is a choice.  Choose wisely.