[pct-l] Worst parts of the trail and ways to get though them

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 31 22:01:09 CDT 2012

I suggest you look up as many pictures and videos as you can of the
so-called desert. After looking at it all, you won't be able to say
it's all desert or that it's the worst part of the trail. In fact, in
many ways, it's the best part of the trail because 99% of the hikers
still have the fire in their eyes.

Here are some pictures to get you started.
http://www.purebound.com/PCT/pacific_crest_trail_photos.htm
http://www.pbase.com/aarondoss/pct_best&page=all

What I found hard was hiking with other people, including the love of
my life (sorry Trailhacker, you were not in the same shape as me and
it was hard to push you so hard even while trying to hold myself
back.) Most others love hiking with other people. I got sick of most
people after about 3 days.

No seriously, what I found hard:
- Believing the hype and having it psych me out. The Hype was
regarding the treacherous Apache Peak snow, Fuller Ridge, Crossing
the Mojave, the big bad waterless desert and the scary creek
crossings in the Sierra. Some of these things actually scared me so
much I skipped them. I had to go back and do them again later. None
of the things I did do during the thru-hiking season turned out to be
nearly as bad as the Hype lead me to believe. Ignore all the Hype.
Prepare for a whole winter of it. People are going to make you feel
you are going to be wallowing in snow, camping in snow and you're
going to die if you don't have mountains of equipment and technology
to see you through.
- Blisters that took 700 miles to go away
- Mosquitoes that took over a month to go away
- A month of rain and wet plants encroaching on the trail and
slapping me in the face so there was no way to stay dry
- That dang log over the Suiattle river (there's a bridge now)
- Losing my morale and having it be hard to get it back

By the way, the desert is far from waterless. The distances are far
from difficult to deal with. The longest resupplies are totally
doable. I walked upright over that log. And the best thing I did was
not give up. There's a saying that you never quit the trail on a bad
day. Wait until a good day and then quit.