[pct-l] Using a hammock with a bad back

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Sat Sep 1 11:44:22 CDT 2012

I have used a hammock through all of Oregon and both Washington sections I have hiked.  And I do have some back issues, although generally not too bad.  I can sleep on my back for only brief periods in a bed, and never when on the ground.  But I can sleep on my back just fine in a hammock, as well as curled up on my side or propped up midway between my back and side.  Some hammocks are better than others for this, but if you get a good one they make the night time portion of backpacking much, much better.  They also make pretty good camp chairs for those rare opportunities you have to sit around in camp.  I use a Warbonnet Blackbird.

Ed Jarretthttp://aclayjar.blogspot.com/