[pct-l] Costings and Backpack

patrick griffith patrickjgriffith at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 2 07:16:39 CDT 2012

Hi All,
I've recently seen a thread about costings for a PCT thru-hike, i too would be interested in learning about people's experiences with regards to costing, so keep it coming! I am hoping 4000 dollars will be enough to get me all the way from mexico to canada.
Another question for you all, do the ultralight backpacks come with a compromise on durability? The osprey 58 weighs 1.14kg for example, and when i tested it, i thought it felt flimsy, i would prefer to buy something a bit heavier which is going to be more robust in the long term? Also in the shop was a Gregory Savant 58 weighing 1.65kg. I know it is a third heavier but does that mean it gets me all the way up the trail?
Patrick