[pct-l] Mom and 10 year old son section hiking

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 2 15:52:54 CDT 2012

My initial reaction is that Kennedy Meadows isn't a good starting point mid June.  This is the time that some thru hikers leave from Kennedy Meadows, but they have hiked for 700 miles, they are by now in good walking shape and have taken over a month hiking from 3,000 feet up to 9,000 ft.  If you're coming from near sea level and beginning your hike, entering the Sierras from KM you will start at 6,000 ft and hike a couple days up to 10,000 ft, then in a few more days up to 13,000 ft.

In mid to late June the Sierra snow is melting, making for challenging creek fords.  I'm 5'9 and those creeks pushed me around pretty good.  A 10 yr old would have a more difficult time.  It's not impossible, but you must know your child, how good of a swimmer are they is they fall, how they deal with fear (panic or not).

Then again, I've never hiked with 10 yr old and it may be fine.
Good luck, have a great hike where ever you go.