[pct-l] Footwear - help!

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 16:03:30 CDT 2012

Dear Miles,

When you select a trail runner, make sure it has a firm sole or you will
start to feel every sharp rock through the sole and the bottom of your foot
will start to feel bruised.  REI has some hybrid shoes that are a little
bit sturdier than a running shoe but not as clunky as a hiker.  Also invest
in a good insole.  REI now carries this really good sport cushion/support
insole that is wonderful.  I looked at my insole and it is called,
"Softsole" and has a picture of a lady running.  I like a little bit of
cushioning and firmness but I am old (52).  I am always amazed as these
young kids can successfully hike with just about anything.  I have never
had an ankle problem so I don't like the high tops as well but I wear
gators so I don't get stuff falling into my shoe all the time.

My shoes were too small at the end when I hiked the JMT section.  Then,
reading the advice from this site, I got shoes that were too big.  On the
downhill sections my toes kept crashing into the shoe so I would get "toe
jam" issues.  You need to be able to tighten the laces to hold your foot in
place for the downhills.  So there is a "Goldilocks" shoe size, not too
big, not too small.  Your foot really doesn't expand for the first 200-300
miles but they will indeed expand so finding a "Goldilocks" size that works
for you isn't easy.

Footwear, I think is absolutely the most important piece of equipment but
be prepared to make some mistakes before finding what works for you.
 Section hikes and experience are your best bets.  Good luck!  Be patient
and work with this aspect of your hike for a bit.  It will ultimately give
you a better hiking experience.  Some people are lucky right away with
shoes but most of us are not.

Toga