[pct-l] ULA vs. GG packs

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Sun Sep 2 17:12:29 CDT 2012

Hello Justin
Thanks for your testimony. That looks interesting indeed. I agree it would be even? more interesting if somebody had tried both ULA and GG packs and made some comparison. Anybody?
?
What about the bear canister?
Could you fit it in horizontally?
?
Any female hikers who have tried the Mariposa 2012?
Any feedback?
?
Cheers
Anne

Anne,
I used a GG G4 from Campo to Kennedy Meadows (southern) as a section
hiker. I have an old neck/shoulder problem that was exacerbated by the
weight being so much on my shoulders with no real hip belt or
suspension. I have used a Catalyst from KM to Ashland, OR so far and
although the pack is heavier, it is vastly more comfortable for me and I
rarely notice the weight (except when I've just resupplied and have a
long distance between water sources). When I left KM with my bear
cannister horizontally in my Catalyst, it felt good. I was hiking with a
male friend who was using a G4 and he was extremely uncomfortable with
the weight and how he had to carry his cannister.

I've been happy with my choice of the Catalyst as opposed to the
Circuit, partly because it has room for extra food and water, as well as
for a good bit of medical stuff I need to carry for my Type 1 diabetes.
My base weight is 13-15 pounds, and I'm really happy with my Catalyst,
have no intention of using my G4 again. (Guess I should try to sell it
on the PCT list, but later.)
Janet