[pct-l] Cooking System Weight?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Sep 4 20:15:40 CDT 2012

I've gone from a Svea 123 on the AT in '06 to no stove on the PCT in 2012 (a section, not a thru).  Weight - zero.  Chance of starting a forest fire, zero.  I might revert to a caldera cone / alcohol stove in the winter, but probably not.  I love the convenience of just adding water to my freeze-dried mix at lunch time, and by dinner time it's ready to eat.  Food doesn't have to be hot to be nutritious and filling, although I'll admit it's tastier if hot.

Hummus, cous-cous, and instant mashed potatoes reconstitute just fine with cold water; pasta and rice, not so much.  I mix the carb with f-d meat, veggies, and cheese for variety and nutrition.  Bag els, tortillas, hard cheese, pepperoni, salami, dehydrated b lack or refri ed beans, power bars, et al. make great lunches.

Mango