[pct-l] Cooking Systems

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Sep 5 19:30:51 CDT 2012

I've noticed a number of people boasting that they don't cook so
their cooking system weighs nothing. I would point out that you can
enjoy both ends of the spectrum. You could opt to go no-cook for part
of the time, perhaps during some of the sections where you are
worried about canister availability or pack space/weight due to bear
canisters or long waterless stretches. Just put your jet boil or
whatever in a box and mail it to yourself up ahead. Let the post
office do some of the work.

Friends of mine on the CDT this summer were no-cook. They managed to
rehydrate home-dehydrated potatoes, vegetables, various home-cooked
grains and beans, and home-dehydrated meats like cooked ground beef
or chicken. It always looked delicious. No store-bought mashed
potatoes or cous-cous required. In fact, the two of them were not
only no-cook but they were no sugar, no wheat and no flour from any
kind of grains and were feeling strong and healthy. Better than they
had on the PCT.