[pct-l] Giardia and Treating Water in the Sierra

Greg Hummel bighummel at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 12:41:20 CDT 2012

Several years ago I hiked into the southern Sierra from Kennedy Mdws with
two of my sons, my future son-in-law (the bastard!), and another friend of
my boys. Hiking about a mile south of the Swallows bridge it was hot, we had
run out of water and were becoming desperate.  I saw a glint of reflection
off of water down in a valley to the west and went cross country to check it
out. There were cows all around the spring and we scared them off. The
spring was a mud puddle with cow pies all around. I cleared the cow pies
back, swept the spring with my boot to clear other rocks and debris and the
water cleared up immediately.  I took my cup and dipped in the free flowing,
clear water coming out of sand. When my cup hit the water several thin white
worms came wavering up out of the sand! I warned my companions not to get a
worm when they got water and we all drank copious amounts.

We also drank untreated from the South Fork of the Kern nearby, also strewn
with cow pies for the next two days as we canyoneered back down to Kennedy
Mdws. None of us got sick.

If it was just me, I'd say that I have a history of resistance, but none of
the other hikers, both genetically related and not, had any kind of problem.
Of course this is just one story and YMMV.

Greg "Strider" Hummel