[pct-l] Yellow jackets and EpiPens on the PCT

Don Jack donaldjack at verizon.net
Sun Sep 9 18:50:10 CDT 2012

About two years ago I was stung 6 times by yellow jackets who had
established a nest in my front yard. The stings were painful but that was
about it. Two months later I was stung 3 more times. That second incident
resulted in a severe allergic reaction and I now carry an Epipen with me as
a result. The yellow jacket nest was also removed shortly after that (so
much for "live and let live" ).

I'm currently doing the planning for a possible PCT hike in 2013. I've
continued to do hiking, backpacking, trail work, etc. during the last two
years but always carry the EpiPen and back off if I think that I've gotten
close to a nest. This approach has been successful so far.

I'd be interested in any wisdom that people on the list can provide on
yellow jackets on the PCT; e.g. which sections are more likely for
encounters,  strategies for replacing Epipens, etc.

Thanks.