[pct-l] Yellow jackets and Epipens on the PCT

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Mon Sep 10 20:31:57 CDT 2012

Growing up in Iowa, I was stung by wasps and reacted. First time when I was
young and my parents didn't recognize anaphylactic shock (anaphylaxis) but
I was nursed and recovered. Years later I was way up on a ladder painting a
gable above the 3rd floor of a house when I was stung. I made it safely
down the ladder and recovered.  Years later I realized what this was, had
allergy tests, and confirmed I was allergic to wasps stings. Since then
I've carried emergency treatment -- first an Anakit now EpiPens. Some time
after being diagnosed I was stung by a wasp on the back of my thigh. I
stayed calm and didn't have a reaction nor did I have my AnaKit. Maybe the
wasp didn't inject any venom; maybe I'm no longer sensitive. Who knows why?

Since then I haven't been stung again. I am very cautious around wasps and
hornets. I also have a MediAlert bracelet with that information. Way out in
the woods the bracelet may only serve to identify my body and give the
coroner a clue as to what happened to me. What else can one do?

Now I almost always have my EpiPens with me unless I forget. ;-( When
hiking they are in the cargo pocket on my hiking pants so I have the pens
with me even when I'm away from my pack. I wish the AnaKit was still
available as it is a lot lighter.

Tortoise

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable
President John F Kennedy,  1962

All content is copyrighted. Reproduction or use elsewhere is is expressly prohibited without the express permission of the author. Use within the PCT-list is permitted.