[pct-l] Yellow jackets and EpiPens on the PCT

Lindsey Sommer lgsommer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 21:16:16 CDT 2012

I too have wandered into a nest. They went up my pants, into my shirt etc, resulting in some painful bites. I wasn't aware they were that prolific in southern California, but I know they are very common in northern California around this time of year. I recall that I often run into them picking blackberries, which are also ripe right around now.

You're well advised to stay away when they can be avoided. I did a section of the AT a few weeks ago (for AT trail day) and had to cut my trip short because someone was stung by a bee and didn't have an EpiPen, knowing they were very allergic. You are ahead of the game if you're wise enough to be carrying one just in case! Though, I learned something from that experience (other than to carry an epipen), which is that after doing the epipen, you should then ALSO take an antihistamine (such as Benadryl). The epipen blocks the nasty reaction you get from an allergy, giving the antihistamine time to work.

Good luck!
Lindsey

Sent from my iPhone