[pct-l] Yellowjackets and Epipens on the PCT

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Tue Sep 11 22:21:28 CDT 2012

Ironically, I just got stung by a yellow jacket in the Russian
Wilderness in Northern California yesterday. I was only about a mile
west of the PCT. I did not step on a nest--we were fixing dinner and the
yellowjackets were buzzing us.I got up to walk over to the other end of
the campsite and a yellowjacket stung me on my thigh when it was buzzing
my leg and the hem of my shorts trapped it against my leg. We later
located the nest in a snag on a ridge--they don't always nest in the
ground.

I had gotten stung many times in my youth by yellowjackets as a
woodsworker for the US Forest Service--I had stepped on ground nests
during firefighting and during cutting of damaged trees in clearcuts in
preparation for prescribed burning.I had very little reaction to the
stings back then.

This time, the skin around the bite (and it was a bite that removed a
small chunk of skin) got swollen and the skin burned and was tight. I
also knew that an anaphylactic reaction could happen after experienceing
multiple bites during a life. Lucklily someone had an epipen--I didn't
have to use it, but it made me think about getting one.

When I was working in the woods for the Forest Service in the 70's, when
people got bitten once in a day, they often got bitten again--the
traditional wisdom was that the yellowjackets could perceive a chemical
exuded by the attacking yellowjackets and would attack again. The fear
hypothesis also was bandied about. It did seem that when someone got bit
once, they were in the middle of other yellowjacket experiences later on
the day.

I initially used hand sanitizer to minimize the itch and discomfort of
the bite yesterday. Someone also produced some sting relief pads that I
think I will add to my backpack first aid kit--I used one for overnight
relief of itching.
--Fireweed