[pct-l] Yellow jackets and EpiPens on the PCT

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:57:06 CDT 2012

I' been maintaining a cooler on the trail at highway 36 for the past few
years.  I have never seen yellow jackets (we call them meat bees here in
the mountains) in the numbers we have had this year.  Is it the dry winter?
 I even resorted to hanging a wasp trap in a nearby tree and that killed a
bunch, but not all of them.  The strange thing is that I was never stung
even though I had to shoo them away to fill the coolers.  A few times one
would "taste" me, just a little nip that was like a little warning, no skin
puncture, just a nip.  But that was enough; I left.

Piper's Mom