[pct-l] YELLOW JACKETS, OTHER INSECTS, AND TICKS

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 14:25:55 CDT 2012

Hello Don,

During my researching and planning period prior to starting on my PCT journey, I identified various possible solutions to deal with the concerns that I had about ticks, insects, and the various kinds of critters that I expected to encounter. The following paragraph describes how I traveled.

I rode the PCT solo (by horse) from Mexico to Canada. My journey was mostly unsupported and took me four years to complete. I can add up nearly eight months - mostly living on the trail with my horse. I could not hitch into towns as my hiker-friends could. I resupplied by caching. I would leave my horse in safe care near the trail (pre-arranged), and drive my rig north, caching my resupplies as I went, park the rig in a safe place (also pre-arranged) and hitch back to my horse - then saddle up and ride north. Since I could not go into towns, and because it took me so long (cutting trees blocking the trail for a horse and getting past them and the many other obstacles), I spent many more days and nights on the trail than hikers do.

I have noticed that there have been many recent posts on PCT-L about YELLOW JACKETS and other related insects. Over many decades of hiking, backpacking, and riding, I have had lots of (unwelcomed) experience with ticks and insects, including various kinds of bees. At REI, early in 2008, prior to starting my PCT journey, I chanced to discover, and, luckily, also purchase, two products that turned out to be effective solutions to the insect problems that so many hikers have experienced and that those who aspire to hike the PCT are concerned about. One product(s) was made by a company called EXOfficio. You can buy insect repellent clothing. The fabric from which the clothing is made is pre-treated with a safe (for humans) insect repellent called Permetherin. (You can look it up on the web.)  I purchased their Insect Shield and Buzz-Off socks, pants, shirt, and the cap with cape. For those who want to sometime hike with shorts, the pants are
 available with zippers that allow you to remove the legs below your knees. (Of course the mosquitoes will have access to your lower legs.)  The cape that hangs from the cap effectively protects your neck and ears. I wore it while in camp and would fold the cape up into the cap when insects were not a problem. While riding on the trail, I wore a riding helmet for safety and treated it with DEET - also my forehead and cheeks. My turned-up coller and hair protected the back of my neck from the sun and insects. I did also use Deet to help my horse.

So, my experience during my PCT journey was that the insect repellent clothing worked well on insects - and also worked on ticks. I did meet many, many, hikers who were sometimes miserable, plagued by ticks in some areas and especially mosquitoes - while I was not. You can avoid that problem. Note that it is possible to soak your clothes in a Permetherin solution. Assuming that the fabric will effectively absorb the repellent, this should also work. There have been PCT-L posts on this. Dr. Ken Murray can advise you on that.

The other product that I purchased at REI was a MSR Hubba tent (It only weighs 2 pounds, 13 ounces). It is a one-person, freestanding, two part tent. I found it very easy to set up. I rarely had to use the rain fly - only if it was raining, or might rain, or when I wanted privacy. Since I almost always camped alone with my horse, I rarely needed privacy. What I appreciated was that the insect proof inner part of the Hubba allowed me to have a great view outside - I loved the openness. I could star-gaze and look up at the trees. My horse and I could see each other. When I used the rain fly I don't recall ever having a condensation problem. That tent is well ventilated. There is also a 2-person version called the "Hubba-Hubba".  My strategy to keep insects out was to keep the zippered insect-proof door zipped up closed except when it was necessary to open it. Then, after entering at bed time, I would always have to take as much time as necessary to kill
 any insects that had managed to get in. You can find pictures of the tent on my PCT slide show at:     postholer.com   Look for the stockman forum and find the link to the slide show

Jack, I hope this information will be helpful to you

Have a great hike.

MendoRider