[pct-l] Yellow jackets and EpiPens on the PCT

Don Jack donaldjack at verizon.net
Thu Sep 13 19:07:21 CDT 2012

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the responses to my original question. They did help me to
sort out my thoughts and find a path forward. It sounds like it is very
likely that someone on the trail for an extended period of time will be
stung.

 When I mentioned in my original posting that the second incident "resulted
in a severe allergic reaction" I left out the details about breaking out in
hives, calling 9-1-1, going into anaphylactic shock,  losing consciousness,
being taken to the emergency room  in an ambulance, etc. After pondering the
local allergist. The treatment involves receiving increasing doses of the
appropriate venom once or twice a week for about 3 months and then switching
to monthly injections for 3 to 5 years. After the first 3 months the
possibility of a systemic allergic response to a sting apparently becomes
very unlikely. In my case this seems like a better first line of defense
than just relying on the EpiPen and Benadryl, especially when remote
locations are involved.

There's a nice synopsis regarding allergic reactions from bees, wasps, etc.
and related issues at
http://allergycases.blogspot.com/2005/06/venom-allergy-short-review.html

Thanks,

Don