[pct-l] Permanent Campfire Ban on PCT?

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 11:39:02 CDT 2012

I don't think a ban is feasible or enforceable. A couple of weeks ago I was backpacking in the Mt Hood area and that night 2 different sets of hikers had campfires going. There currently is a state wide ban on burning due to the high fire danger. Neither set of hikers was aware of it and only one group put their fire out when I informed them.

In other times of the year those of us who hike year-round in the soggy northwest enjoy a nice campfire to warm up and dry out by.

Diarmaid "Irish" Harmon
irishharmon at comcast.net

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!"