[pct-l] Permanent Campfire Ban on PCT?

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Sat Sep 15 19:40:35 CDT 2012

I've read some valid and a few irrational fears of fire and its use on the
PCT in this PCB-PCT discussion.  EA has a life based fear that may not apply
to the PCT, but is worth hearing. There are many areas on the PCT that have
campfire bans, either due to current yearly fire hazard conditions
(USFS/NPS/State), or due to elevation (NPS); a ban along the whole 2650 mile trail is unrealistic, irrational, and unenforceable. Forest fires on the PCT are at most 5% human caused, the rest are part of nature's cycle.  I'm a current 30yr usfs employee
and aware of gov policies and fire hazard conditions. I'm an alcohol stove
builder (Pika stove), white gas veteran, and have tried most every stove
available on the trail. Any stove can fail during its intended purpose. Fire
is fire, use it safely, use it wisely, and be sure your fire can't become a
forest fire, whether it's a stove or a campfire. Gazing into a campfire takes us back to our caveman era, can cook a meal, and is a special part of the wilderness experience. However, simply said, fire burns. Be careful out there.
~
I drove up to CooknGreen Pass today to drop off a fire dude to pick up his
truck at Bee Camp. This was my first chance to see the Fort Goff fire in the
SV area, and it's out at this time. There will be 10% less shade on the
climb out of SV to the CnG pass. Much of the brush got burned off, but not
too many of the trees on the trail.  I missed my Sierra CIty to Belden hike
this year due to fire, maybe next year, but there will be less shade for
sure there.