[pct-l] Permanent Campfire Ban on PCT?

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sat Sep 15 22:14:25 CDT 2012

I often hike solo and when I do so, I seldom have a campfire. First it is a
bit of work to collect the firewood, build and tend the fire, etc. I cook
with a isobutane stove. Easy to light and control, easy to extinguish. Even
with car camping I almost never build a fire but will occasionally when
invited join other campers around their fire.

Rather than stare into a camp fire, I'd rather observe the night around me
or read. One way to reduce the number of camp fires is to emphasize the
alternatives -- staring at the night sky or contemplating nature around us.

HYOH, YMWV

Tortoise

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable
President John F Kennedy,  1962

All content is copyrighted. Reproduction or use elsewhere is is expressly prohibited without the express permission of the author. Use within the PCT-list is permitted.